"I have never met a good writer who claimed that writing came easily or that he wrote 'inspirationally'."-Ayn Rand
It’s interesting that people will look at someone who has a high level of ability and success and think that they were lucky to – and this term is very important – “get” that.
Apparently Beyonce is lucky to be able to sing the way she does, Dr. Joel is lucky to be as strong and fit as he is, and I’m lucky because I have “things figured out.”
This perception comes from only considering the finished product. You look at the end and you think, “Wow, I could never do that,” or “It must be nice.” What you don’t see are the hours upon hours of hard work, the failure, the frustration, or the determination to keep going.
What’s stopping you?
One of my greatest pleasures as I move through life is getting to spend time with people that are one day going to be (or already are) the best in the world at what they do. It’s special to see both potential unfolding and to listen to the best speak and share the struggles they endured to become the best.
The three things ALL have in common are:
1) Vision: They know where they want to go.
2) Work ethic: They are totally committed to their vision.
3) Honesty – they know their strengths and weaknesses, where they need to improve,and if their expectations were appropriate.
We love the story of the genius or expert that was “born into it” because it makes us feel better about ourselves. “I wasn’t born into it. I wasn’t given what is required to be successful so why even bother,” we like to tell ourselves.
Today is the first day of the 30 Day Life By Design Challenge and I want to challenge you mentally.
For those interested, here's what to do:
1) Have the courage and honesty to participate in the 30 Day Life By Design challenge to the maximum. If you fail, get up, dust yourself off and START AGAIN! As many times as it takes.
2) Find someone who has something that you want--body, career, life, relationship, whatever--and ask them out for a coffee so that you can pick their brain to see what they are doing to achieve that result.
3) Let me know what you find.Dr.K